General Information about MPA's Amnesty International Club
GENERAL PURPOSE: Amnesty International is a non-partisan international organization whose purpose is to identify victim's of political oppression - political prisoners - and to initiate letter writing campaigns aimed at putting pressure on governments to 1) allow visitation 2) abstain from the use of torture and 3) provide a fair trial.
Our goal related to promoting diversity is to:
- Free all prisoners of conscience detained because of beliefs, ethnic origin, sex, or color who have not advocated for or used violence.
- Ensure fair and prompt trials for political prisoners
- Abolish the death penalty, torture and other cruel treatment of prisoners
- End extrajudicial executions and disappearances
- Increase awareness in the MPA community of injustices around the world
- Provide hope to prisoners through letter writing and petitions
How does Amnesty International get its information?Our research teams focusing on particular countries and themes investigate reports of human rights abuses, cross checking and corroborating information from a wide variety of sources and contacts.
We receive information from many sources, including:
- prisoners and others suffering other human rights abuses and their representatives
- survivors of abuse and their families
- lawyers and journalists
- religious bodies and community workers
- humanitarian agencies and other human rights organizations
- human rights defenders